Help Stop Online Censorship

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Help Stop Online Censorship

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 am

avengador1 wrote:Those who give up liberty for security have neither.
And further get what they deserve.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:55 pm

I think government has gone too far in that they tell us how to light our homes. Those stupid compact fluorescent bulbs are expensive, you can't read without eyestrain under them, and they're toxic waste when you have to throw them away. We use CFs at home, and they burn out incredibly fast. Of course, they were used ones we were given, but still I think that claim of a five year life is a huge load of used horse feed.
There's a lightbulb in a firehouse up north that has been burning steadily, with few interruptions, for 110 years, and it's an incandescent. And it's not the only one, either. It's only the 100 watt bulbs that are being phased out. So why don't they give people a choice in whether they want to continue using incandescent or CF? And when you don't have heat in your home like we do, regular heat-emitting lightbulbs can provide heat.
And as for TV, I honestly don't see a major difference between non-HD and HD. They're just trying to make us cough up more money at a time when nobody has it. People have got to put their foot down; the Occupy Movement is a start, but we need to let our voices be heard even louder.

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 pm

*Blinks.* Feline, you can still use incandescent if you like. There's no law that says otherwise. Like you said, they only banned the 100 watt ones. The Low Wattage ones are still out there. They're just harder to find because CFL is more popular.

Also if your CFLs are burning out faster than your incandescents did... you gotta check your wiring. Something's not right.

8^/

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:33 pm

My problem with the CFL has to do with my training as a hypnotist. Certain frequencies of light flicker can cause all sorts of interesting reactions within the human body. Any sort of strobe effect over enough time can have interesting effects.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 am

Big Wallaby wrote:My problem with the CFL has to do with my training as a hypnotist. Certain frequencies of light flicker can cause all sorts of interesting reactions within the human body. Any sort of strobe effect over enough time can have interesting effects.
This was why Disco was so bad for us! :D:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 am

Just tried out some LED lights. I'm finding I like them. Turned to them in the first place because they are dimmable, unlike (most) CFL. I also liked the fact that they're not toxic waste. They tend to be more directional so there are applciations where they don't work well, and they are more expensive, but I can abosrb the initial expense and I know that they will save money in the long run.

Feline, as Mayonaise said, CFLs burning out fast is worrisome. You're not using them in 3-way or dimmed fixtures are you? That will kill the bulbs and also presents a fire hazard. Also, using light bulbs for heat is very expensive. You'd be kinder to your electric bill if you picked up a small, inexpensive heater.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:00 am

And as for TV, I honestly don't see a major difference between non-HD and HD. They're just trying to make us cough up more money at a time when nobody has it.
You need an HDTV to see the difference. It's like night and day. You can see things on HDTV that you won't on a regular TV, like facial wrinkles, age spots, stains on clothing, metal flake paint, etc. The clarityand detail is just that much higher. Get a set that supports 1080i and is larger than 20 in. diag. I have a 37 in one in my room and can see the crows feet around Flo's (Progressive's sales lady) eyes. ;)

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:41 am

I didn't think I could see a difference between standard and HD until I sat down with an HD TV with the same show on a feed for both and kept switching between them to compare.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 pm

No, not using them on dimmer or 3 way switches, just regular overhead lighting. The house is 100 years old and has had work done on it, though the plumbing could be better--way better. Of course it would really help if the people renting the rooms in the rest of the house wouldn't flush garbage down the toilets, too. Whenever we've had a sewage overflow, the people in the rest of the house are to blame.
And why on earth would I want to/need to see someone's wrinkles, etc.? Makeup artists spend hours making TV performers look their best, and HDTV wrecks that.

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:08 pm

felinefan wrote: And when you don't have heat in your home like we do, regular heat-emitting lightbulbs can provide heat. .
:marvin: "Lovely heaters, but why are they so bright ?? Image